Citizen Of Our World recognizes that it must maintain and use information responsibly.
This policy describes what personal information we collect and how we use it.
- Citizen Of Our World will not rent or sell your personal information to third parties.
- By establishing an account on Citizen Of Our World, you agree to receive emails from us or messages on your account based on your account activity (for example, confirmations of donations you have made, notifications of projects selected, statements on the amount of credit available in your Citizen Of Our World account, confirmation of email address or password changes, or customer service inquiries regarding activity in your account).
- By default, you will receive update emails or messages on your account on your donations that are sent through the Website. Citizen Of Our World will not disclose your email address to partners in any case -- these emails are sent through a webform without any third party learning your address. You can choose not to receive these emails through a preference on the Website (when this functionality is made available).
- By default, you may receive periodic newsletter emails from Citizen Of Our World. The frequency of these newsletters may vary but will be no greater than once per month. You can choose not to receive these newsletters through a preference on the Website (when this functionality is made available).
- Citizen Of Our World will not disclose your personally identifiable donating activity to any third party. Citizen Of Our World reserves the right to record and display anonymous donating activity trends on the Website and display the general regions where our donators are located.
- Citizen Of Our World's service providers may be provided access to your personally identifiable information incident to their provision of services to Citizen Of Our World. All such access shall be under appropriate confidentiality agreements and limited to use to provide services to Citizen Of Our World.
- This Website is intended to be used by adults. It is not intended for children, and Citizen Of Our World does not want to collect any personal information for users who are under the age of 13. Citizen Of Our World recommends that parents do not post, or permit others to post, any personally identifiable information with respect to persons under the age of 13.
- We take privacy seriously and we value yours.
We collect information when you visit our website, create an account, edit your account information, donate or vote to a project. Some of this information is technical information that is automatically logged by our servers.
Creating a Citizen Of Our World Account
When you create an account on our website, we collect basic information about you - your name and email address. You can choose to provide additional information, such as your mailing address, a photo, favorite projects, etc., if you create a profile or any other personal information.
Making a Donation
When you make an online donation on our website, we collect personal information such as your name, billing address, and email address, if you have not already provided these details. We collect information about your donation, including the project you are donating to and the amount of your donation. You may choose to provide the email address of friends that you ask us to notify about your use of our website. We also collect (but do not retain) credit card numbers which are processed by a third-party payment vendor subject to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards. If you use PayPal or a similar service, their use of your information is based on their terms of service and policies, not ours, so we encourage you to review those policies carefully.
Votes, Contests, Promotions, and Surveys
Periodically, Citizen Of Our World may invite you to participate in votes, contests, take advantage of special promotions, and complete online surveys. If you have created a Citizen Of Our World account or profile, information we collect from these contests, promotions, and surveys may be associated with you personally.
Like most websites, our servers automatically collect certain technical information when you visit our site, including your Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your visit, the referring URL, and, if you have visited our Site before, one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser. We also collect information about your activities on the site, such as the pages you access.
In order to collect this information, the site places a cookie on your hard drive. A "cookie" is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
Use of Information
Citizen Of Our World uses the personal information that you provide, and the technical information logged by our servers to process your votes and donations, to:
- deliver the notifications described above
- notify your friends and family about the project if you ask us to
- improve your experience (such as remembering your name, or your preferences)
- contact you regarding your votes(s), donation(s) and other aspects of the service
- operate the site
- compile aggregate statistics that allow us to understand how visitors use our site, and to make improvements in design and content to better serve you.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We will share your personal information with our agents, representatives, service providers and contractors in order to process your donations, offer you services in connection with our website, communicate news and information about Citizen Of Our World, provide customer service, enhance and improve customers' donor experiences, and complete financial transactions. These service providers are authorized to use your information only to the extent necessary to serve these purposes, or as otherwise authorized by this policy.
If you decide to participate in discussion groups, or to send messages to other donators, your real name (first name + surname) will be visible to everyone. This is meant to reduce misuse of the communication channels that we provide to our donators.
Aside from the purposes described above, we will not disclose your personal information without your consent, unless: (1) we need to respond to a subpoena, court order or legal process; (2) an emergency situation requires disclosure before your permission can be obtained (e.g., situations involving potential threats to personal safety), or; (3) we determine that disclosure is needed to protect our rights or property, or the rights or property of another person.
We may share aggregated demographic and statistical information with our other partners. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person.
Information about Children Under 13
Our website is a general audience website, and does not collect information about a visitor's age. We do, from time to time, partner with other organizations to educate children about philanthropy in general and our work in particular. In those cases, we do not collect personal information from a visitor on pages specifically designed for children.
Viewing and Updating Your Information on our website
You can access your account information at any time by going to the My Account page. You can make changes to your information and update your account at any time.
You can also unsubscribe from Citizen Of Our World communications at any time by sending an unsubscribe email as described at the bottom of every Citizen Of Our World communications, or by updating your subscriptions on the My Account page (when this functionality will be made available).
When you create an account or profile on our website, you can decide whether to make some or all of that information public or private (when this functionality will be made available). You can change your choices at any time using the My Profile page (when this functionality will be made available).
Links to Other Websites
Citizen Of Our World understands the importance of keeping your information secure and confidential. We have implemented policies and procedures designed to help safeguard your information. When you make a donation, information about your credit card, Paypal account, or bank is transmitted using SSL.
You may contact us by using the Contact Us links on the footer of our site. We try to reply to every message we receive. This information is used to respond directly to your questions or comments. We also may file your comments and share them with our customer care team to improve our service in the future.